Baking is a zen space for me that helped me manage the highs and lows of my career, and after 20+ years as a school teacher, I finally found my zen as a baker (Queen Bees Kitchen) who does it for the actual love of baking and truly making other people happy through food. I love the culture and origins of food, and get true happiness from traveling and meeting people who are as passionate about food as I am. It is this passion that permeates my baking; my favorite compliment from years ago is, "I looked at the ingredients to see what the 'special' ingredient was, only to realize it was Erica."
2 cups flour
3/4 cup butter
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 300F. Combine flour and coconut sugar. Work butter into flour & sugar with a pastry cutter or fork until mix is mealy looking. The texture will be somewhere between a regular pie dough and a graham cracker crust.
2. Next, stir in egg yolks with a fork. Using your hands, work to form 2 equal sized balls of dough if making 2 smaller pies or one large dough ball for a singular deep dish pie.
3. Press dough into two pie tins or one large deep dish pie plate until you have an even layer of dough that comes to the rim.
4. Poke the bottom of the dough with a fork, sprinkle with finely chopped pecans (if using).
5. Bake at 300F for 20-30 minutes. If using a deep dish, you’ll bake closer to 30 minutes.
6. Once the pie crust comes out of the oven, begin making the filling.
7. Bring water, granulated sugar, and cornstarch to a boil, stirring to combine everything as it comes to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, immediately remove from heat and stir in peach Jello. Stir until the peach Jello dissolves. Allow to cool in pan.
8. As the above mixture is cooling, peel and slice your peaches - I personally like them thickly sliced, but this is pure preference - then lightly toss peaches with vanilla extract and cinnamon.
9. Gently mix dressed peaches into Jello mixture.
10. Pour the peaches and Jello mixture into the cooled dough, and spread around as evenly as you can.
11. Allow to chill in refrigerator for a minimum of 3-4 hours before serving.
12. Top it all off with fresh whipped cream for a perfect dessert!
The perfect seasonal treat! Enjoy!